each summer

Each summer, the people of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church challenge themselves to read scripture every day. This summer, we're focusing on people. We've picked 55 Biblical characters we find interesting. Some are familiar. Some are obscure. They all show how God works through ordinary, imperfect people. Different members of the congregation will blog. Check back here daily for the person of the day, starting June 6th.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Nathan, written by David Yaney, 1 Chronicles 29:29, 2 Samuel 7:1-17; 2 Samuel 12: 1-15; 1 Kings 1:1-40

Nathan – A Prophet with Serious Guts

I’d like to say that I knew all about Nathan when I started this exercise – to put on airs of being more Biblically literate than I am. Reality is that initially the name “Nathan” had more of a connection to a hotdog place often seen in airports around here for me.

The good news is that I/we are not the first to dig into the Bible and there are a many online resources to point in the right direction. I also happened to have a lunch meeting with Pastor Sarah last week and that helped a lot too.

My encounter with Nathan began in 2 Samuel 7, 1-16 which finds a young King David in a respite from his enemies having just brought the Ark of God back from Baalah of Judah where it had sat for years. David has thoughts of building a temple and says to Nathan, “Here I am living in a palace of cedar while the ark of God is in a tent” (where he left it). That night God speaks to Nathan with an unusual message: that instead the Lord will establish a “house” for David and his family. “Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me, your throne will be established forever” (verse 16). Put yourself in Nathan’s place - giving news like this (often called, “Nathan’s Oracle) to a popular and powerful King with an obvious covenant with God.

Unfortunately, King David has a plenty of standard human vices and things don’t remain on such a lofty plane for long. The story in 2 Samuel 11 1:15 reads like any modern trashy novel. King David sends his troops off to war and things are going pretty well for them so he stays home in Jerusalem. He gets up in the middle of then night, goes walking around on the roof of the palace and happens to see a beautiful woman (Bathsheba) bathing. You can fill in the rest but before long she sends word back saying, “I am pregnant” (verse 5). Where things get really messy is that Bathsheba is already married to Uriah the Hittite who is one of his soldiers. David sends Uriah back to the front lines carrying a note to his commander, “Put Uriah in the front line where fighting is fiercest then withdraw from him so he will be struck down and die” (verses 14-15). Whew - have an affair with a married woman and then arrange to have her husband killed by somebody else. Pretty awful indeed but after the mourning for Uriah is over David brings Bathsehba to the palace.

King David may have figured he got away with all this but in Chapter 12 the Lord sends in Nathan to straighten him out. Nathan does this in a very powerful way in verses 1-12 using a story about a rich man stealing a poor man’s lamb which incenses the King only to tell David that he is the rich man. Imagine this - standing before the same King David and telling him the straight truth from God. This takes guts.

The baby dies in 7 days but David and Bathsheba shortly go on to have a second son together who they name Solomon. We “fast forward” 35+ years for the final encounter with Nathan in 1 Kings 1, 1-46.

This is the twilight of King David’s reign and by now he has assembled a large, extended family over which he has exercised what we’d call, “permissive parenting” today. Some ugly stuff went on but David (perhaps holding true to his own vices and prior deeds) did little about it. In an attempt to seize the opportunity, Adonijah (a son by Haggith) begins a convincing act of having been appointed as David’s successor although that promise has previously been made to Solomon. Once again Nathan is called upon to reiterate the truth. In verses 11-14 Nathan goes to Bathsheba, tells her what’s going on and pushes her to see the King and collect on prior promises. While she is in “making her case” Nathan shows up and supports her (verses 24-26). The King is again brought back to the Lord’s path and pronounces that, “I have appointed (Solomon) ruler over Israel and Judah” (verse 35).

Nathan has played out yet another role as king-maker.

DSYaney

7/2/2011

1 chronicles 29:29

29Now the acts of King David, from first to last, are written in the records of the seer Samuel, and in the records of the prophet Nathan, and in the records of the seer Gad,

2 Samuel 7:1-17

God’s Covenant with David

7Now when the king was settled in his house, and the Lord had given him rest from all his enemies around him, 2the king said to the prophet Nathan, ‘See now, I am living in a house of cedar, but the ark of God stays in a tent.’ 3Nathan said to the king, ‘Go, do all that you have in mind; for the Lord is with you.’

4 But that same night the word of the Lord came to Nathan: 5Go and tell my servant David: Thus says the Lord: Are you the one to build me a house to live in? 6I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent and a tabernacle. 7Wherever I have moved about among all the people of Israel, did I ever speak a word with any of the tribal leaders* of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, ‘Why have you not built me a house of cedar?’ 8Now therefore thus you shall say to my servant David: Thus says the Lord of hosts: I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep to be prince over my people Israel; 9and I have been with you wherever you went, and have cut off all your enemies from before you; and I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. 10And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, so that they may live in their own place, and be disturbed no more; and evildoers shall afflict them no more, as formerly, 11from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel; and I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover, the Lord declares to you that the Lord will make you a house. 12When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. 14I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. When he commits iniquity, I will punish him with a rod such as mortals use, with blows inflicted by human beings. 15But I will not take* my steadfast love from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. 16Your house and your kingdom shall be made sure for ever before me;* your throne shall be established for ever. 17In accordance with all these words and with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David.

2 sam 12

121and the Lord sent Nathan to David. He came to him, and said to him, ‘There were two men in a certain city, one rich and the other poor. 2The rich man had very many flocks and herds; 3but the poor man had nothing but one little ewe lamb, which he had bought. He brought it up, and it grew up with him and with his children; it used to eat of his meagre fare, and drink from his cup, and lie in his bosom, and it was like a daughter to him. 4Now there came a traveller to the rich man, and he was loath to take one of his own flock or herd to prepare for the wayfarer who had come to him, but he took the poor man’s lamb, and prepared that for the guest who had come to him.’ 5Then David’s anger was greatly kindled against the man. He said to Nathan, ‘As the Lord lives, the man who has done this deserves to die; 6he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.’

7 Nathan said to David, ‘You are the man! Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: I anointed you king over Israel, and I rescued you from the hand of Saul; 8I gave you your master’s house, and your master’s wives into your bosom, and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added as much more. 9Why have you despised the word of the Lord, to do what is evil in his sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. 10Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house, for you have despised me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife. 11Thus says the Lord: I will raise up trouble against you from within your own house; and I will take your wives before your eyes, and give them to your neighbour, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this very sun. 12For you did it secretly; but I will do this thing before all Israel, and before the sun.’ 13David said to Nathan, ‘I have sinned against the Lord.’ Nathan said to David, ‘Now the Lord has put away your sin; you shall not die. 14Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned the Lord,* the child that is born to you shall die.’ 15Then Nathan went to his house.

1 Kings 1:1-40

The Struggle for the Succession

1King David was old and advanced in years; and although they covered him with clothes, he could not get warm. 2So his servants said to him, ‘Let a young virgin be sought for my lord the king, and let her wait on the king, and be his attendant; let her lie in your bosom, so that my lord the king may be warm.’ 3So they searched for a beautiful girl throughout all the territory of Israel, and found Abishag the Shunammite, and brought her to the king. 4The girl was very beautiful. She became the king’s attendant and served him, but the king did not know her sexually.

5 Now Adonijah son of Haggith exalted himself, saying, ‘I will be king’; he prepared for himself chariots and horsemen, and fifty men to run before him. 6His father had never at any time displeased him by asking, ‘Why have you done that?’ He was also a very handsome man, and he was born next after Absalom. 7He conferred with Joab son of Zeruiah and with the priest Abiathar, and they supported Adonijah. 8But the priest Zadok, and Benaiah son of Jehoiada, and the prophet Nathan, and Shimei, and Rei, and David’s own warriors did not side with Adonijah.

9 Adonijah sacrificed sheep, oxen, and fatted cattle by the stone Zoheleth, which is beside En-rogel, and he invited all his brothers, the king’s sons, and all the royal officials of Judah, 10but he did not invite the prophet Nathan or Benaiah or the warriors or his brother Solomon.

11 Then Nathan said to Bathsheba, Solomon’s mother, ‘Have you not heard that Adonijah son of Haggith has become king and our lord David does not know it? 12Now therefore come, let me give you advice, so that you may save your own life and the life of your son Solomon. 13Go in at once to King David, and say to him, “Did you not, my lord the king, swear to your servant, saying: Your son Solomon shall succeed me as king, and he shall sit on my throne? Why then is Adonijah king?” 14Then while you are still there speaking with the king, I will come in after you and confirm your words.’

15 So Bathsheba went to the king in his room. The king was very old; Abishag the Shunammite was attending the king. 16Bathsheba bowed and did obeisance to the king, and the king said, ‘What do you wish?’ 17She said to him, ‘My lord, you swore to your servant by the Lord your God, saying: Your son Solomon shall succeed me as king, and he shall sit on my throne. 18But now suddenly Adonijah has become king, though you, my lord the king, do not know it. 19He has sacrificed oxen, fatted cattle, and sheep in abundance, and has invited all the children of the king, the priest Abiathar, and Joab the commander of the army; but your servant Solomon he has not invited. 20But you, my lord the king—the eyes of all Israel are on you to tell them who shall sit on the throne of my lord the king after him. 21Otherwise it will come to pass, when my lord the king sleeps with his ancestors, that my son Solomon and I will be counted offenders.’

22 While she was still speaking with the king, the prophet Nathan came in. 23The king was told, ‘Here is the prophet Nathan.’ When he came in before the king, he did obeisance to the king, with his face to the ground. 24Nathan said, ‘My lord the king, have you said, “Adonijah shall succeed me as king, and he shall sit on my throne”? 25For today he has gone down and has sacrificed oxen, fatted cattle, and sheep in abundance, and has invited all the king’s children, Joab the commander* of the army, and the priest Abiathar, who are now eating and drinking before him, and saying, “Long live King Adonijah!” 26But he did not invite me, your servant, and the priest Zadok, and Benaiah son of Jehoiada, and your servant Solomon. 27Has this thing been brought about by my lord the king and you have not let your servants know who should sit on the throne of my lord the king after him?’

The Accession of Solomon

28 King David answered, ‘Summon Bathsheba to me.’ So she came into the king’s presence, and stood before the king. 29The king swore, saying, ‘As the Lord lives, who has saved my life from every adversity, 30as I swore to you by the Lord, the God of Israel, “Your son Solomon shall succeed me as king, and he shall sit on my throne in my place”, so will I do this day.’ 31Then Bathsheba bowed with her face to the ground, and did obeisance to the king, and said, ‘May my lord King David live for ever!’

32 King David said, ‘Summon to me the priest Zadok, the prophet Nathan, and Benaiah son of Jehoiada.’ When they came before the king, 33the king said to them, ‘Take with you the servants of your lord, and have my son Solomon ride on my own mule, and bring him down to Gihon. 34There let the priest Zadok and the prophet Nathan anoint him king over Israel; then blow the trumpet, and say, “Long live King Solomon!” 35You shall go up following him. Let him enter and sit on my throne; he shall be king in my place; for I have appointed him to be ruler over Israel and over Judah.’ 36Benaiah son of Jehoiada answered the king, ‘Amen! May the Lord, the God of my lord the king, so ordain. 37As the Lord has been with my lord the king, so may he be with Solomon, and make his throne greater than the throne of my lord King David.’

38 So the priest Zadok, the prophet Nathan, and Benaiah son of Jehoiada, and the Cherethites and the Pelethites, went down and had Solomon ride on King David’s mule, and led him to Gihon. 39There the priest Zadok took the horn of oil from the tent and anointed Solomon. Then they blew the trumpet, and all the people said, ‘Long live King Solomon!’ 40And all the people went up following him, playing on pipes and rejoicing with great joy, so that the earth quaked at their noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment